94. Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Someday I Suppose

Ska is a very jealous lover. For years this type of music was very straightforward without too much deviation. Those who did deviate did so at their peril – until The Mighty Mighty Bosstones. They took ska and infused some serious metal elements and took a marriage made in a Boggle cube and made some seriously good music.

“Someday I Suppose” starts like many ska songs with the horns keeping the beat. But this beat builds and builds (not unlike “Enter Sandman” by Metallica) with the drums and bass jumping in, until this metal guitar just grabs the song and tears off. Then, just as quickly, the metal guitar disappears and the almost jazzy ska guitar takes its place. They play tag for the rest of the song while keeping you interested. It’s almost like they were a ska band and then ran into a metal virtuoso who wanted to join their band but was unable to play any other kind of guitar style. However it happened, this is a killer ska/metal/who knows what? song.

Dicky Barrett, the Bosstone’s lead singer, has one of those killer rock voices that make you wonder how he could possibly make it through an entire concert with his vocal chords intact. But he sings this song with the right amount of indifference that the lyrics echo and then tears it loose when they get to the chorus. This song is a kind of anthem to the apathetic twentysomething of the nineties who maybe wanted to care about life, but just couldn’t muster up the energy. These lyrics sum up the whole vibe of the song pretty well:

There was a girl and I don’t know her name either
She gave me love and I swore I’d never leave her
If I did Id come back someday and find her
Maybe I will I should write down a reminder

As a full-disclosure coda-type thing, I have to admit that I was exposed to the Mighty Mighty Bosstones not by some cool friend from Boston who had the original vinyl pressings of the early EP’s, but by Alicia Silverstone and Amy Heckerling’s Clueless (a guilty pleasure, I admit, but underrated as a comedy). The band appeared in the ubiquitous college party scene and I was hooked. But I guess it doesn’t matter what gets you to listen to a great band as long as you listen, right? Yeah, that’s what I'll keep telling myself when I go see the new Hannah Montana movie…


(Say what you want about Clueless, but the movie has a great soundtrack. There are some cool covers, most notably the Psychedelic Furs' "The Ghost in You" by Counting Crows. The Bosstones are there as well as a fantastic song by Jill Sobule - "Supermodel." "Rolling With My Homies" by Coolio? Hell, yeah. What makes a great soundtrack is you get a bunch of music that you wouldn't normally be exposed to. This is a GREAT soundtrack. Go get it and listen to it. It's for sale used all over the place, including a used one for .01 on Amazon.)

The record company wouldn't let Youtube embed the video in my post, but you can use the link below to watch the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRXUQ4IKKHY
0 Responses